Region # (0 if not applicable):
1. The most important reason a trainer provides a description of the training with learning objectives to registrants prior to training is to allow them an opportunity to...
A. check to see if they signed up for the correct training.
B. estimate how long the training session will last.
C. begin thinking about content and prior knowledge.
D. begin thinking about potential misconceptions.
2. A presenter should provide readings, activities, and/or questions to participants prior to training in order to...
A. activate prior knowledge and/or provide prerequisite knowledge.
B. provide an overview or focus for learning.
C. get participants to think about the topic.
D. All of the above.
3. The most important reason an agenda is provided at training sessions is to...
A. give participants an idea as to the sequence of the content of the session.
B. give participants an idea as to the intended learning outcomes.
C. help presenters stay focused and on topic during training.
D. help presenters determine what content needs to be addressed.
4. Read the excerpt and answer the question below.
“Evidence can be found in body language of participant and presenter, tone of voice, use of humor, etc. Also, evidence can be found in the introduction that the presenter uses relaying his/her experience in the classroom, recounting work with students, or reminding participants of previous work done with this group.”
The excerpt most likely describes what to “look for” to determine whether or not a presenter uses…
A. actions to establish rapport with an audience.
B. strategies to elicit actions from participants.
C. humor and proper tone of voice.
D. techniques to elicit emotion.
5. During training, the presenter should provide examples of the content/practices in use. Possible ways to do this include all of the following except...
A. asking participants to apply new learnings to generate and share examples with the large group.
B. telling participants about various Internet sites where teacher may go to get their own examples.
C. sharing examples provided in training materials and by teachers.
D. sharing video clips showing teachers teaching the content or using the practice.
6. Which learning activity does not provide an opportunity for participants to interact about content during a training session?
A. “Talk to your shoulder partner about the definitions of effective practice.”
B. “Divide into groups of four to learn more about four teaching strategies for addressing a topic.”
C. “Think, join with a partner, and share the best way to use graphic organizer for teaching content.”
D. “Reflect to think of one thing you can use in your classroom and two new ideas you learned.”
7. An effective trainer adheres to an agenda and to time constraints. Additionally, a presenter needs to address questions and concerns from participants. Sometimes it is difficult to abide by the agenda to adhere to a time constraint and address multiple individual questions/concerns. Which paragraph describes the best way to handle this situation?
A. At the beginning of the training, tell participants you welcome their questions and will place a “Parking Lot” on the wall for them to post “individual” questions/concerns as they pop into their heads. Tell participants you will check the parking lot periodically to ensure all or most questions are addressed before the end of the day. Any unanswered questions/concerns will be addressed by email using a QA format. It will be sent to all participants.
B. At the beginning of the training, tell participants you welcome their questions and will place a “Parking Lot” on the wall for anyone who has a question or concern. Tell them to be sure to put their email address on the sticky note with their question or concern so you can send them a response.
C. At the beginning of the training, tell participants you welcome their questions and will address questions along the way throughout the training. Tell participants you will address all of their questions prior to moving to the next item on the agenda and will adjust the agenda accordingly. Your goal is to clarify all misconceptions prior to moving on. If time gets away without agenda items being addressed, tell participants you will email all missed information and materials.
D. At the beginning of the training, tell participants you will place a “Parking Lot” on the wall for them to post questions related to the content being presented, and you will check the parking lot the last 10 minutes of training and will address all of their questions or concerns at that time.
8. At the end of training, the trainer should facilitate a discussion of specific indicators ---related to the knowledge, content, or skills provided by the training---that would indicate a successful transfer to practice. One example of this would be a discussion centered around the...
A. Practice Profile
B. Checklist for Understanding
C. Outcomes for Training
D. Agenda for Training
9. Imagine you are the main trainer for an Effective Practices Academy. The same group of participants attends all five meetings over a five-month period of time (by attending one meeting each month.) The training provides an in-depth study of three teaching and learning practices. It is essential to make “in-between meeting” homework assignments that require participants to...
A. try out new practices in the classroom setting to ensure they produce the effect size stated in the research findings. Then do a comparison of effect sizes.
B. try out all new practices in the classroom setting to find out which one is easiest to implement with the students. Easiest means involves less time.
C. apply their learning and try out practices in a context outside of the training setting. Ideally, the new context for trying out a new practice would be in the classroom with students.
D. apply their learning and try out new practices with students from different classrooms to form an opinion on whether or not the practice works.
10. Imagine you are the main trainer for teachers within Oakmill Middle School. For the past 3 years, collaborative teacher teams have attended one meeting each month for seven months during the school term. Your training has provided an in-depth study of and follow-up support for the following topics:
This next week, is the last training session and then end of the 3-year contract. What is next? Which two opportunities would be the most logical for you to suggest?
A. I and II
B. II and III
C. III and IV
D. I and IV